Tuesday, April 28, 2015

My Cage, My Wings

And one more... This one seemed to deserve it's own post.... I wrote this in Sep-2014. I was thinking about what the hardest memory/time period is for me to re-live, which was my from my Senior year in High School to my Sophmore year in college (between 2004 and 2006), and the moment that for me epitomizes that time period. I wanted to be able to move past it, so I wrote it into a poem. It totally helped... Sorry, it's pretty dark...

My Cage, My Wings

Lost in empty hollowness
Bite marks on my arms
Alone in the darkness
Of my own confusion and pain
I stared at my wrists
Wondering what it would be like
To break the skin, to bleed.
I wondered
Would anyone care
If my body finally mirrored
What I felt was happening
In my heart

I took out a pair of scissors
And lightly drew them across my skin
Putting pressure, but not enough
Knowing I would never do it
Feeling guilty even thinking of it
Wishing for five minutes
I could simply shut out my conscience

In the darkest moment of my life
My conscience was my cage
There was no escape

I wasn't alive in this world
But I couldn't leave it either
It was unquestionable
It killed me with shame
And guilt and sorrow

Broken and shattered
I  died over and over again
Abusing and bruising my body
Out of frustration and hatred
Knowing it would never let me give up

Yet I look back and am grateful
For that cage
For the shackles and imprisonment

For my conscience,
My connection with God

For though in that moment
It was my cage

In actuality
It was my wings

No comments: