Saturday, June 14, 2008

Poem for my Mom


When I was a baby I held close to your side
As a toddler I was constantly in stride
As a young girl you were the center of my life
As a pre youth you were my savior when there was strife
When I reached 15, we had a brief break
When I was selfish and you weren’t really awake
But then in my later teenage years,
We grew closer and closer through laughter and tears
You became the one person who always knew how to mend
My heart, and you became my best friend.

On this day, so important, and so dear
I want you to understand what it would be like not having you here
You are the one person whose love I could never live without
You created, and are the center of what I am about
Living without you wouldn’t feel like life at all
Because I know you are the one person who will always catch me if I fall
If you were gone my life would be broken
Everything would be left unspoken
My heart would be locked up tight
With no one there, I would lose the fight
That is constantly going on in my head
Saying that everything should be left unsaid
My mind says to hold everything in
But you always look and see what’s within
You make me talk and you know what I’ll say
Mostly just hugging you makes the pain go away

I live and I love and I’m here because of you
I talk because I listened to you
I love because you taught me how to
I laugh because I see the joy it brings you
I believe because you showed me God is true
I followed your example and I grew
Spiritually and physically because of you
The thing is, I know I will never be alone
Your love has always been with me as I’ve grown
And I know that this will never change,
Even when we are thousands of miles away
You’ll still be inside my heart
And in this way, we will never be apart

No comments: